Stop trying to find yourself. Create the woman you want to be.

2013- Happy Family from Taking Action

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Procrastination Bites or You Can't Iron in the Dark

All week we've been in prep mode for back to school. I even had the kids lay out their clothes before they went to bed last night. This is awesome for me because Summer has been a little crazy.

Who am I kidding? Between having 4 kids home from school, working full-time FROM HOME and moving into a new house, I am surprised I'm still sane.
So why was I trying to iron in the dark?

The entire last few weeks have been nothing but doctor's appointments and school registration meetings. Work has been regulated to a couple of hours in the morning and in the middle of the night. I'm tired to say the least.

Soooo, last night, the night before the first day of school. I had some work to catch up on and figured I would work until 1 or 2am, crash, get up at 4 or 5am to pack lunches and iron my husband's work clothes. Made sense at the time.

Note to self: Check weather channel before pursuing lame ass plan.

Yes I awoke at 3am to a loud noise and the realization that the power was off. Not only was the power off, but it seemed as if the heaven's had opened up to release the wrath of Zeus. Lightening flashed so much that candles were only needed in rooms where there were no windows.

This is the point in the story where I'm praying that the power comes on before 5am and ready to beat my head against the wall because I didn't do all of my household chores before crashing. I wait til 6am and start fumbling in the dark for NurtiGrain bars and Pop Tarts. The true breakfast of champions.

Oh and those work clothes? Sorry hubby but you're stuck with jeans today. Sucks, but you can't iron in the dark and candlelight does no good because the iron is still cold. Who knew?


Thankfully we have power now, although all I want to do is sleep. If I give in to the sleepiness then I will procrastinate again. It's a double edged sword because I am very cranky and not being very patient. Then again I can't put things off because I have wet sheets in the washer right now. Procrastination will lead to some really nasty smelling sheets and my daughter sleeping on a bare mattress.

Ahh the joys of motherhood. And I thought most of my sleepless nights were over when my youngest turned three. Well, until my oldest is a teenager anyway. Oh hell, we all know that you don't sleep well until the youngest is out of the house.

Back to the point. Don't put things off because life will throw you a curve ball that will knock you in the head and make you see little tweety birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment